Fall is my favorite time of year and I love to cook Gatsby seasonal fare. (Gatsby is my doggy!) Here is a homemade dog treat recipe that packs a lot of nutritional punch. Apples clean residue off your dog’s teeth and freshens his or her breath, so be sure to share a few bites with your pup before you bake the biscuits. Apples are also a good source of fiber, as well as vitamins A and C. Pumpkin is a natural remedy for gastrointestinal (GI) issues, while cinnamon is terrific for regulating your dog’s blood sugar and is anti-inflammatory.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup apple very finely diced (core and seeds removed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine two flours with baking powder in a bowl (you can also use a mix master or food processor) and mix until smooth.
- Add apple, pumpkin, egg, cinnamon and water. Mix until it forms into an evenly combined dough.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes. It makes 12-24 cookies depending on the size of the cookie cutter. Note that you may need to add more all-purpose flour as the dough is sticky.
- Transfer biscuits to the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes until crisp.
- Let biscuits cool completely on a wire rack and give one to your drooling pup!