As RDMs (Rockstar Doggy Mommas) we’re all busy ladies with a long checklist to accomplish in any given day. And in order to rock our day to the fullest, we need to stay energized. Do you ever “forget to eat” and then look at the clock to find it’s already mid-afternoon?! Remember to keep your metabolism humming and energy levels up throughout the day you need to keep fueling yourself roughly every 4 hours. Therefore, proper snacking is critical especially when you hit the late afternoon slump.
In addition, smart snacking keeps your cravings in check which will help you attain (and maintain) your weight loss goals.
For instance, a handful of popcorn or an orange will not sustain you, but if you pair it with a lean protein source you’re golden. As a rule of thumb choose a lean source of protein and pair it with a fruit, vegetables or whole-grain.
Here are our top five go-to snacks. They’re simple to make and grab on the go. Plus they’re RDM approved which means you can share your afternoon delight with your pup:
- Brown Rice Thin Stackers (or brown rice cake, brown rice crackers or Wasa) with 1-2 Tbsp. natural (unsweetened and unsalted) almond butter (high in fiber and loaded with Vitamin E which is beneficial for your dog’s skin and coat)
- Turkey Roll-ups (a small piece of turkey breast can be a great source of lean protein for your dog)
- 1 piece of part-skim string cheese with a sliced apple (natural cure for “doggy breath”)
- ¼ cup hummus with raw veggies (Gatsby loves to crunch on his baby carrots which are great for his teeth!)
- 1 hardboiled egg with orange slices (in small amounts a great source of Vitamin C to boost your pup’s immune system)
Snacks like these will help keep your metabolism happy and energy going. 🙂
 Make sure there is no garlic or onion in the hummus because these vegetables can be toxic for your dog.