Happy National Pasta Day! Growing up one of my family’s favorite comfort foods was Pizza Casserole and with the cold rolling back into Chicago this week I was definitely in the need of a little warmth. But as holiday cocktail dress season is right around the corner, I lightened up the recipe and added a twist for your dog. Perfect dinner for the whole family!
Skinny Pizza Casserole
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- ½ package whole wheat No Yolks or 2 cups dry whole wheat or brown rice elbows/rotini
- 1 cup cremini (or button) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ onion, diced
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- ¼ cup organic ketchup
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and add in broccoli the last 3 minutes of cooking, strain. Set aside a plain portion for your pup.
- While noodles are cooking sauté ground turkey breast in 1 Tablespoon olive oil and Italian seasoning. Strain out fat. Set aside. Set aside a plain portion for your pup.
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, green peppers and garlic in the remaining olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ground turkey, vegetables and noodles stirring in the tomato and ketchup.
- Place mixture into an oven safe round dish and top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Note to RDMs:
Remember to set aside a portion of the plain noodles, broccoli and ground turkey for your pup. For large dogs: ½ cup each and for small dogs ¼ cup each.
If you are watching your dog’s weight, you can just give him or her the turkey and broccoli!